...it's all about being your pal
Jos school building collapse death toll rises to six
North-Central Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency, Mr. Abdulasam Mohammed, said on Wednesday that the death toll from the Jos Islamic school building collapse on Sunday has risen to six.
Mohammed initially confirmed four persons dead from the incident on Sunday.
Confirming the new figure to the News Agency of Nigeria in Jos, he said no fewer than 25 children were also injured in the incident and were taken to the Plateau Specialist Hospital for treatment.
The coordinator attributed the building collapse to poor materials used in constructing the building and lack of professional supervision.
He said the collapsed building was initially planned as a bungalow, but was later converted into a two-storey building without proper measures.
“At the moment, the death toll from the disaster stands at six, and 25 persons severely injured are responding to treatment at the Plateau Specialist Hospital.
“This disaster happened basically because the owner of the building used quacks and sub-standard materials in constructing the structure.
“I use to know that building to be just a bungalow, to my surprise, years later, I realised that the building has been elevated to a two-storey building.
“During the rescue mission, my men were breaking the walls and concrete pillars with much ease, apparently, the elevation was done without proper permission and professional advice from experts and appropriate authorities,” he said.
Mohamed said the Plateau Government had promised to cater for the hospital bills of those injured, and that NEMA had also intervened by providing them with needed drugs and consumables.
He advised against the use of substandard materials in the construction of buildings so as not to jeopardise lives.
NAN recalls that the school building collapsed last Sunday while students were taking lessons and that the affected children were between the ages of eight and 15.
The Chief Medical Director of Plateau Specialist Hospital, Dr. Golwal Timothy, said 20 out of the 25 victims brought to the hospital had been treated and discharged.
He said the remaining five had severe and chronic cases and would need more medical care until ascertained fit.
Source - NAN
Content Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
Inquiry Manager: email@example.com