...it's all about being your pal
2012 Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships Launched
Professional journalists from Asia, Africa, the Middle East, the Americas and Caribbean, Europe and former Soviet Union, can now apply for the 2012 Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships (AFPF).
The fellowship is designed for journalists in the early to middle stages of their careers, with an average of six years working experience.
Yearly, the AFPF brings about 8 to 10 mid-career reporters and editors (usually between age 25 and 35), to the United States for an in-depth, practical exposure to the professional and ethical standards of the U.S. media for six months.
Named in honor of the late Alfred Friendly, a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter and former managing editor of The Washington Post, the fellowship provides hands-on experience in reporting, writing and exposure to the free press in the American society. It also fosters continuing ties between journalists in the United States and counterparts in other countries.
The fellowship programme, usually begins in March, and exposes selected journalists to the technological changes occurring in the media industry. It also equips them with new skills that they would transfer to their colleagues back home.
- Should be a full-time employee as a journalist for the news or editorial departments of independent newspapers, magazines, wire services, or online publications of general public interest
- Should have at least three years of full-time professional experience as a journalist in the print/online media
- Early to mid-career status and between 25 and 35 years old
- Should have a demonstrated personal commitment to a career in journalism
- Should have ability and desire to share what is learned on the fellowship with other journalists at home
- Must have endorsement from the management of the home publication
- Excellent command of both written and spoken English is essential
Click for application form in pdf
Click for application form in MS doc
Click for fill-in application form
Deadline: August 8, 2011
- Your Pal
More on the web
Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships Names 2011 Fellows
Profile of the 2011 Alfred Friendly Press Fellows
Profile of Members of the Alfred and Jean Friendly Foundation Board
Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships Convenes Advisory Board
Edward R. Murrow: Journalism At Its Best
Handbook Of Independent Journalism
Overview of Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships
Alfred Friendly Press Fellowships Homepage
The Alfred Friendly Foundation
Articles by Alfred Friendly Jr.
Content Manager: email@example.com
Inquiry Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org